Equipment Needed: Frypan, bowl, Loaf Tin and baking tray
Cooking Method: Oven roasting and stove top
Source: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/Download the Recipe Card!
|Bacon (Streaky)||10 rashers||10 rashers|
|Celery||1 stick||1 stick|
|Temp 1||Metric (°C)||Imperial (°F)||Gasmark|
|Temp 2||Metric (°C)||Imperial (°F)||Gasmark|
- Preheat the oven to Temp 1
- Prep your ingredients: Finely chop the celery and onion. Peel the apple and chop (discarding the core).
- Heat the oil in the pan.
- Add the celery and onion and cook for 5 minutes
- Transfer the celery and onion to a bowl.
- Squeeze the sausage meat from the skins into the bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well
- You can now put 1/4 of the mixture into the neck or cavity of a turkey or chicken
- Line the loaf tin with 8 of the bacon rashers – see picture.
- Put the remainder of the stuffing into the loaf tin and fold the bacon over the top. Cover with the 2 remaining rashers.
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven, turn out onto baking tray and return to oven.
- Turn oven up to Temp 2 and cook for a further 15 minutes to brown bacon
- Remove from oven, scatter with parsley, slice and serve.
Tips, Tricks and Hacks…
Make Ahead! Complete steps 1-10, allow to cool and put in the fridge for up to 3 days. On the day, preheat oven to Temp 1 and complete steps 10 to 13.
Substitution: If you don’t have pork sausages, you can use sausage mince, or pork mince seasoned with salt and pepper.
Stuffing Balls: Don’t fancy the loaf? You can roll your stuffing into golf ball sized balls and wrap each in half a rasher of bacon. Put on a baking tray and cover with foil, cook at Temp 1 for 15 minutes, remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the bacon is brown.