This is a really good recipe if you’re on a diet (like me) and trying to lose a bit of weight.
Let’s be clear, it’s never going to taste as good as real pizza. However, this recipe makes a pretty decent meal or snack and may help to keep those pizza cravings at bay!
Servings: Main: 1 serving. Starter: 2 or 3 servings
Dietary Information: low carb, gluten free
Equipment Needed: Oven tray, pastry brush
Cooking Method: Oven
Source: Adapted from: Pop Sugar http://tinyurl.com/pcckg6eDownload the Recipe Card!
|Cherry Tomatoes (thinly sliced)||10||10|
|Fresh Basil (sliced)||1tbs||1tbs|
|Oil (Rapeseed or olive)||30ml||1fl oz|
|Red Onion (finely diced)||1tbs||1tbs|
- Pre-heat the oven
- Slice the eggplant/aubergine into 10cm or 3/8″ thick rounds
- Brush each side with oil and place onto the tray
- Bake for 20minutes
- Remove the tray from the oven and assemble the pizzas: starting with the tomato puree, followed by red onion, tomato slices and then mozzarella.
- Return to the oven for about 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with some chilli flakes and basil and serve.
Tips, Tricks and Hacks…
Substitutions: No aubergines? Try using zucchini or courgette instead (sliced lengthwise)
Toppings? You can add any toppings you like as long as they don’t need to be cooked for too long. Mushrooms, pineapple, pre-cooked bacon, sweetcorn etc can all be added.