Equipment Needed: Saucepan, mixing bowl, wooden spoon and whisk
Cooking Method: Stovetop
Recipe Source: http://www.taste.com.au/Download the Recipe Card!
|Milk||560ml||1 pint (1.2 US pints)|
- Add the cream and milk to the saucepan. Over a medium heat, bring it to a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In the mixing bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar and cornflour until it’s pale and creamy.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and cream.
- Return custard to the saucepan and stir over a medium heat until the custard coats the back of the wooden spoon (about 8 minutes) – don’t let it boil!
- Remove from the heat and stir in the brandy.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl or jug for serving.
Tips, Tricks and Hacks…
Make Ahead! Make the custard as per the instructions. Place a piece of cling film/plastic wrap on the surface of the custard and refrigerate – this will avoid the skin forming. When needed, microwave your custard for a few minutes.
Substitutions: Don’t have any brandy? Feel free to use rum, bourbon, cointreau, calvados or any other liqueur you have lying around.